17.7.08

12 Days ... Countdowns

We count down a lot in life … we count down the seconds to New Years, the hours until the dinner, the days until graduation, the weeks until the baby birth, the months until the next Holiday, the years until retirement. I didn’t count down a lot of things on my own though …



However, last year I was introduced to life-saving value of the Countdown. A friend, who has by far the most grownup job of all of my friends, was unhappy in his job. So he counted down, countdown to beach time with the kids, countdown to the next episode of 24, countdown to the weekend, countdown to Mexico, countdown to handing in notice, countdown to last day. There was no countdown to starting work again. Countdowns are only for fun things. Countdowns remind us how close things really are.

Many might fear that age old adage “watching the pot won’t make the water boil any faster” … I disagree. Since taking a fulltime job not including ‘beach afternoons,’ ‘Disney days,’ ‘sing along,’ and other such diversions I have become a Countdown Girl. I love counting down to things, even the simplest of things.

It’s the simple Countdowns that fix the long day! I know you’re wondering so I’ll tell you the simple countdowns that make life exciting. Countdown to talks in the doorway with M&M. Countdown to Sundaes. Countdown to the carnival at work on Tuesday (I may or may not have gotten my face painted for the second time this Face Painting Season). Countdown to SnowShak and SYTYCD with commentary by priceless friends. Countdown to 12am opening day movies. Countdown to lunches at the gym. Countdown to Casual Friday. Countdown to Grams Gabbing Hour (Friday’s drive home). Countdown to Saturday’s Sleeping Morning (that’s usually an 8:30 morning!). Countdown to Sunday’s entertainment. I love my Countdowns!

You always need a big countdown though … something exciting and out the ordinary. My out of the ordinary arrives in 12 days. Adam is coming to UT on his way to Missoula! It’s always a breath of fresh air to talk with Adam and it’s going to be like a cool summer breeze coming through the desert that is Utah that Tuesday evening. Sure he might ruffle a few feathers … that’s part of the excitement! That’s reason enough to have a countdown! 12 days to a night of free thinking, laughing, and fun …

Enjoy your own Countdowns!

2 comments:

Aubrey Messick said...

Kas, I loved this post. I too am a big fan of the countdown. Its the only thing that gets me through my work weeks. Being able to look forward to something always makes the work days go by a little faster. And the work becomes more enjoyable too!

Lauren@ "Happiness is..." said...

Hey marsha!! I found your blog off of Megan's and I loved this post of yours!!! I love countdowns too....it makes life 100 times more enjoyable!!!