28.10.10

Look Up and Dance!

The other night I was standing at the top of a staircase in the Student Center at UVU.  I had on shoes that made me fear walking down those stairs so Stark and I stood at the top waiting for my brother post his hillarious performance in Noises Off.  As we stood discussing faces {another post for another day} a couple began to walk up the stairs.  Sporting hot pink pin stripes ~ take a minute to create that visual in your mind's eye ~ they climbed up the thirty plus steps.  As they did so not once did they look up.  Mind you, girl in said couple was wearing shoes much more dangerous than mine.  But had they looked up though they would have seen Stark and I making faces to convey our points and I'm certain these faces would have provided for a bit of car-ride-home conversation, we were being funny!  Instead they got to the top of the stairs, looked up ~ only because they saw my black bowed high rise shoes and Stark's multi-toned loffers ~ and were caught completely off guard!  How could someone be standing at the top of the stairs?!?  The nerve!  We threw off their steps and I'm convinced the rest of their evening by startling them with our presence at the top of the stairs as their faces shared shock and what looked to be a bit more than a bit of frustration at us.

On the drive home that night, through the snow!, I thought about this moment and another memory came back to me.

Ace and I were driving home from an afternoon at the school and saw a site!! As we were stopped at Bangerter and 53rd South I turned to my left and saw a old suburban full of a mom and boys {dear Above, I'd like that life in ten years or so ~ the sans girl part}.  Mom was driving, windows were down.  Baby, probably 17 or 18 months, was in his car seat in the middle seat and two big brothers, probably 3 and 4, were in the back seat behind lightly tinted windows.  The song was loud, something upbeat.  Mom was jamming out! Singing at the top of her lungs and dancing as if her car was dependent on her energy to move again once the light changed.  I pointed out the show to Ace and we both watched for the next two and half miles and three stop lights.  Mom did not care who was watching!  She was dancing and singing for all or for no one.  Occasionally she would look in the rear view mirror and smile or wink at one of the boys, she was absolutely content with her life in this moment.  The boys were happy about life, not yet having reached the age where this would cause utter humiliation for them.  Baby would laugh at Mom and then turn to see Ace and I laughing, his response was a precious giggle and a game of peak-a-boo.  The two older brothers were in the back smiling and waving, naive to the fact that in three years they will be begging their mom to roll up the window and calm down.  That blue suburban and its occupants were living and loving every minute of it!

So, back to my snowy drive home and those thoughts, LOOK UP!  Good looking people making funny faces are standing at the top of the stairs!!  There are people dancing in the car next to you!!  Join them!! Don't be shocked and frustrated when you are looking at your feet because you've decided to wear cute but totally unreasonable shoes and look up only find yourself face to face with something unexpected ~ it really wouldn't have been unexpected if you had looked up!!  And make faces back at the cute baby boy, one day you'll have one just like it!!  Be happy!!  Do something your scared of doing, be rebel in regards to your natural self-reserved inclinations ~ dance in the car, walk down the stairs in ridiculous shoes, sing in your big voice {on pitch or not} with the windows down ~ and love every minute of it!! Stop being ridiculously-ridiculous {another post for another time} and LOOK UP and DANCE!!

PS ~ This may be my version of this video.

2 comments:

sara said...

I love everything about this post!

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

Thank you for this :)