8.8.10

All Tied Up ...

So I have a few complexes in my life.

One ~ cutting.  When I was in first grade Mrs. Sallerards gave me a -U- {unsatisfactory} in cutting.  Every since I have delegated out all of the cutting in my life ~ seriously.

Two ~ eye make-up.  I have these little eyes that seem to reject any sort of makeup that is put on them.  I find myself coveting my friends with these ginormous eyes who can wear all sorts of colors on their lids, mine are just too tiny.  And the mascara, bless my soul, is always an issue with these little buggers.  It does not matter the brand, residue is left beneath these little eyes enhancing the already-there-Mount-bags.  I hope and pray for a household of boys for many reasons, not the least of which is to avoid the 'I'm sorry, you've got your mom's eyes and they really do look better without any sort of coating' talk with a young daughter all excited about make-up.

Three ~ tying bows.  Some of you may wonder, how does one get a complex regarding tying bows?  Oh, it just so happens that I have collected 12 ~ seriously! ~ designers in my life.  Add to that even dozen a hand full of aunts who could make a tiny ribbon into a beautiful ornament and I've got myself a large complex.  I remember for one family gathering turning to John, the son of one of these aunts, and having him tie the bow on the candles after my frustrated and hideous attempts.  When wrapping gifts ~ which I do a FANTASTIC job at ~ with Robs I would always leave the bows off, knowing that my attempt would be taken off and redone.  I just can't get them to look right, no matter the focus and concentration.  I'm okay with it, really, I have enough people around me that if I need an adequate bow tied it will be done.  While helping one Tall Friend with weddings I was banned, yes, BANNED, from any relationship with ribbon ~ seriously.  Ace and I made a deal that if I am so 'blessed' with daughters that he would be right across the street to tie the bows in the hair {I can do the hair ~ my girl won't look neglected in that department} and on their dresses while I coach his boys through a first-down.  Bows and I just aren't friends!

But today, as I got out of my car and was greeted by Smiling Face I quickly forgot about the four minutes I had spent an hour earlier in front of the mirror cursing the cute red dress with a bow {in the front no less!}.  As the hours progressed my mind truly was freed of the horrible moment of twists, turns, and tugs of the patriotic ribbon attached to the dress.  I had omitted the point in time from just hours earlier when the only place I wanted to be was the San Clemente building with Aubrey at hand to do some miracle tie with this material.  I was happy and had forgotten about this less than mediocre bow I had managed to create.  Until ...

Smiling Face and I were walking to our final meeting when he said "I really do like this thing," as he grabbed the forgotten bow.  I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to face him.  "What?"  "This tie, I like it," he repeated as he held both of the rabbit ears and pulled them tight.  I looked into those blue eyes to see if there was sarcasm lingering ... nope, not an ounce.  I may have 'woot'ed there in the foyer of the church building!  "You like my bow?!?!?" I just wanted to be sure, as this was a first for me. "Sure do," he said. HA!! Yes, I know, it probably shouldn't count if the compliment came from a football-playing-guy who called it a 'tie' rather than a 'bow' but I'm counting it!!  


And so, as the sun sets on this day here in Indianapolis I say to the blogging world, I tied a bow without the assistance of a designer!  And Smiling Face liked it!  HA!! I'm not asking the Big Guy for girls just yet nor offering my services in wedding prep but here's to today's bow, to progress ... as small as it may be!  Tomorrow, maybe I'll cut out a heart or try some eye-shadow!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Football playing guys count. I count. E

Brenda said...

And this is why I love you so much! Maybe we can work on some cutting while you are here - my kids love scissors and they can teach you something!

Greg D said...

I kind of love that I'm in charge of bows and you're in charge of football.