16.2.11

Sail

Once in a blue moon I'll feel a bit of an angst regarding something.  It's usually something that is easily cured with with a trip to the White House on the Hill or a weekend of sunshine.  Earlier this week, during a card game of War, J and I were discussing his own moment of angst ... as I do not stake claim to being the only person to sometimes feel this.  We spoke for a bit about his current situation and then about his 'cure'.  Like most of our faith he listed a trip to the White House on the Hill but then, much to my own wonderment, he began talking about the water ... common ground, smart J. 



We came to our mutual love of boats and he laughed and reminded me of my favorite phrase as of late, "Get on a boat!" He then inquired why I chose this, he likes to know the rhyme to my reason ~ even if it is my illogical reason and funky rhyme. I spent a few minutes trying to explain, getting my words caught between mind and mouth.  Unintentionally I tested his patience as I tried to figure this out in words he understood rather than looks and whines.  He's a smart man, very smart, it's not that he doesn't understand the mantra, that's not it at all.  I believe he was trying to get me to understand it a bit more.  And so tonight as homework is being done beside me after some 'cure' time for both of us with Syd, I have found this and have committed it to memory, Holmes words better sum up the reasoning for my mantra.

I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, 
as in what direction we are moving: 
To reach the port of heaven, 
we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - 
but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.
 
So J, there you have it.  Or as your intention, I believe, was for me to better understand and perhaps lecture less and act more ... there I have it.  Get on a boat! Not only 'Get on a boat!' but SAIL!

1 comment:

jsfrench said...

Perhaps being a Navy brat did rub off if it only was for one month. I love the poem...