13.6.08

To the Men in my Life

Normally I have the fantastic Hallmark Card in the mail by this point but they are in my purse, without a stamp, so chances are high that Dad and Gramps will have an extended Father's Day! But I will take a moment or two to celebrate the Fathers of my life!

Mike, Matt, and Max ~ the three greatest Uncles that a girl could have. All are worth more to me than words could ever convey but I will try.

Uncle Mike, (pictured here in his oh-so-slick-outfit with Uncle Max) who I greatly miss each day, offered so much as he walked this earth to those he loved. He loved with his whole heart and you felt it, you heard it, you knew it. Over these past three years I have learned more about the man that is my Uncle. He has touched so many lives, aided so many friends, loved so many people ... pushing aside the nonsense that sometimes life creates and focused on his family, his loved ones. He continues to love and inspire and I love him so much.

Uncle Matt, our own Job, is the endearing Uncle. I remember as a young girl sitting on the white couch in Grams and Gramps house when everything got chaotic, not surprising for a Saturday morning with the Mounts. Mom was upstairs with Buba who was causing a ruckus, Cubby /Josh / Bri were banging on the piano. I was overwhelmed, a bit dramatic for a six year old ~ I know. Aunt Shelia was trying to calm baby Jennifer who was crying,6 I'm sure she was too a bit overwhelmed. I saw Uncle Matt, sitting on the floor in front of the fireplace, walked over, sat down on his lap, and fell asleep. That is one of my favorite memories of my Uncle Matt. Now that I'm older I still find great peace in the presence of Uncle Matt ... he's been through more than his fair share of storms and yet he truly emulates the peace that he has found. I love him very much.
Uncle Max, 'the favorite Uncle', would have a right to claim on such things if I used the words, when they are self-proclaimed however ...! He was the Uncle that got off the plane from Chile and demanded that we go to McDonald's so that his nieces and nephews, 7/6/4/3 respectively, have their first Big Macs in celebration of his honorable return. He was the Uncle that brought my 'pretend dog' (Gramp's dog, ZEAK) to school. He was the Uncle that showed up at school one random afternoon and took me to McDonald's for a Big Mac and Shake. He was the Uncle that told me not to quickly judge a young gentleman, now that gentleman is among one of my 'people'. He is the Uncle that inquires with reflecting questions causing much internal debate and discovery, whether involving politics, family, relationships, or spiritual matters. He is the Uncle that emails at the crack of dawn on this niece's birthday to win the prize. Uncle Max is following his dreams and allowing me to learn from his process, I love him with my whole heart.

My Favorite Grandfather ...

**** Grampsisms: *cinnamon candies on his desk * vanilla ice-cream every night *frogs * strike days * largest elevator in Wisconsin * fun with the fork-lifts * Beer Brats * How's your love life? * Your voice is sexy sick * Lincolns * little girls that swear at inappropriate times * patriotism * funny emails * tricky teeth * peck kisses * 3rd finger pointing * cats and chicken * perseverance * all things Mason * individual and eternal vow * I SUPPOSE ****
My Grandfather leads the Mount family with love and devotion. He is not a man of many words but he offers his all at all times for his family. He holds us together when the world seems to fall apart. I love my Gramps very much and am very grateful I am his favorite, as confirmed in the video above as well as in on his wedding day in a Holy Place!

My Favorite Father ... I could write for days and still be unable to truly allow you to see who he is and why he is so adored by me. My favorite memory of my Dad and I is actually the first memory I have of my Dad and I. He woke me early one morning and took me down to the Lake. The sun had yet to come up, I was in my Strawberry Short Cake nightgown. We cuddled down on the rocks and watched the sun come up. I don't remember what wisdom he imparted that particular morning but I do remember him saying "I love you Sunshine" right as the sun came up over the Lake. I could live to be a 103 and that memory would still be vivid in my mind. Every time I hear him call me Sunshine that memory comes flooding back. There is no greater gift a father could give his daughter than the knowledge that she is loved and adored. My Father has not let one day go by in my life without allowing me to hear and feel of that love. Even while I was serving my Father in Heaven and contact was limited I could feel of my Father's prayers and knew that the extra ounce of strength was coming from him. I'm a Daddy's Little Girl ... I always will be.

I love you Daddy!

Happy Father's Day to the Men in my Life! I love you all very much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sunshine...notice the Dewalts on my head? Has your gramp's seen this yet? I love it...love dad(dy)

Erin Davis said...

Cute post Kasi! It was so fun seeing you!