3.6.08

A and B

There are people that laugh at life. There are people who see the bigger picture. There are people who get it, even when you’re whining. There are people who will swear for you. There are people that pick up the phone or answer the door in the middle of the night so that you can curl up in bed with a warm body. There are people that will take a class for you. There are people that will listen to a country song for you. There are people that will show up, make dinner, get the kids in bed, and then sit down and not make you talk about it. There are people that will drive across the country with you so you don’t have to fly. There are people who offer logical thoughts. There are people that inspire.

I know these people, I could go on and create a tribute to each one. But today, on what very well could become a historic day for this nation, I would like to pay tribute to the friend that introduced me to Barack.



It was perhaps a year and half ago now that Adam and I were chatting about politics and religion, our favorite topics. In the midst of it all we found ourselves discussing Barack Obama, the senator from Illinois. Adam can make a stapler sound interesting so I’ve learned over the past ten years how to decipher the stapler from the truly exciting and intriguing. This conversation brought on a strong desire to know more about the man who was causing quite the rucus. I started my research ~ I’m a nerd.

I spent the next several months researching the Senator; reading his books, reading other’s words about him (his supporters and his critics), understanding his accomplishments, understanding where he’s fallen or failed. I took my time in thinking about this … I have my own views and not all of them coincide with Barack’s. My family freaked out, bless their hearts. My Father linked his daughters ways to a democratic rally he attended in eighth grade, "I knew there would be retribution for that." (Kylee, don't worry, Dad's forgive their daughters!) But in the end, I decided that I believe in Barack as a man and in his ability to bring this country back from the hell that we currently find ourselves in.

And unlike my normal run-away-from-all-good-things tendencies I ran toward this … perhaps it’s a sign of sorts. I got involved in California and upon moving to UT found that there was much to do! I spent my days in the HP office and my nights and weekends with Barack. I organized, went to meetings, organized, knocked on doors, organized, and called a gazillion people. Some were not thrilled to speak with me. While others that I spoke with were open for conversation regarding the Senator. It was in these moments, which were bit missionish, that I was able to speak of my conviction regarding Barack and my hope for the future … I loved every minute of it! (To discuss policy and such, call me! The blog is not the best way to have me put you in your place in regards to the Mormon = Republican theory!)

I still love every minute of it! And as Barack continues his steps forward, as I know he will, I will love it even more. To have a President that is true to himself, true to his family, and true to the country that he loves … well, that is a miracle I’m excited to witness.

So Adam, gracias. You did not push this, you simply cultivated. You offer a fresh pair of untainted eyes to view life. I appreciate those eyes, that insight. And now, as you are continually telling me … GO! GO! GO! Leap, we always find the net! Happiness and adventure are right there!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kasi,
Congratulations to you and all the volunteers/supporters for getting the word out there on Mr. Obama. I couldn't be happier with the nomination!!! The first thing I did today once I was on the computer was see if you posted your thoughts, and I'm glad I did! Now, it's on the the election!! Lisa Hemstreet

Anonymous said...

I caught my typo....It's on TO the election!!!
Lisa

Unknown said...

Kas,
I watched a dvd, from the library, called Hacking Democracy. It is an HBO production and does keep you wondering...love dad