14.10.08

Happy Anniversary

I can hardly believe it! I’ve been here, in the 8410… zip code for an entire year. I left the shores of Sunny, Melo, Perfect California to come to Utah. God and I had made a deal which consisted of me coming to Utah with a large question of why in my mind and His endless love and patience as I figure it all out. We’re still in the figuring out process.

But I fear that I more often than not give the downer side of living in Utah. With the post below I realize that some ‘click-byers’ might assume I am not a fan of the circumstances I find myself. Let me clarify ~ some days are hard but there were hard days in CA (the knock on the door at 12 and the quiet Kas contemplating things while Greys or SportsCenter play is evidence to that) and hard days back home. LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR ~ I like living in UT … I’ll say it again, I like living in UT.

The mountains that once made me feel like the world was caving in on me have now become the beautiful blanket landscape that surrounds me. I saw the most beautiful moonset today over the far away mountains ~ I don't know which range is which yet ~ as I drove west … it was breathtaking.

The City of Salt Lake, which I previously would only refer to as a ‘large town’, is now a quaint city with discoveries of amazing architecture and perfect people watching benches. I am certain M&M and I could enjoy 4th South for hours.

The weather, albeit dry, is manageable ~ sorry, I like my Chicago fall and California spring.

My homes ~ yes, prior to the ringing in of 2009 I will live in another house, 3 in one calendar year!! But I love each of them. From the red and yellow kitchen in the Fairview house … to the cozy quarters on Bryan … to the heated bathrooms and ginormous kitchen at Pete’s (I might like the last the most!) I have been at ‘home’.

But what is most important is that I have ‘people’ here. I have people that I trust and that I count on. I have people that I laugh with and can scream at (I apologize). I have people that will walk with me and people that will pull me. I have people that will argue with me and people that will wipe away the tears. I have my Liberal friends and my die hard Conservatives. I have my Grey's watchers and my Bear's Club. I have my walking friends and my Wii friends. My ‘person’ is here, I am here.



HAPPY ANNIVERSARY UTAH! I know I don’t express it nearly as often as I should but … I kinda like ya, from Lay’en to the moun’ins, you’re not half bad. Thanks for a WILD year … here’s to another 365 days!

2 comments:

Aubrey Messick said...

Have you really been away from us for that long? WOW! California misses you, but I'm so glad you're learning to love the moun'ins. :)

M said...

This makes me happy. Oh so very HAPPY! And happier still that I get to be here for your next 365 days in UT. Cheers to the big kitchen. (And the fireplace, the big table, the entry way, the roomy coat closet, the NEW washer and dryer...etc, etc.)