3.10.08

Lights and Trees

So it got a little chilly on Wednesday night ~ I sleep with my windows open, I'm my Father's daughter. When I woke up … after a resting three hours of sleep … I found my mind immediately turned toward Christmas, a subconscious thing I do when I feel even an ounce of winter weather! I am that girl that gets excited when she finds the Christmas station weeks before Thanksgiving on the radio, rents the Christmas movies months in advance, and finds every reason to begin this Holiday as early as possible.

Halloween is great … it’s better with the kids around though. Thanksgiving is up there too but to find a good flight home, not miss too much work, and not spend more time in the airport with delays than I do with my family tends to put little Thanks in my heart that weekend.

CHRISTMAS is my favorite. I love snow. I love carols. I love lights. I love seeing beautifully wrapped gifts (Robs, why aren’t I there? D&P are going to have to step it up and teach this girl how to wrap a gift). I love watching the traditional movies. I love staying up late and discussing the same topics that were discussed the previous 20 years of my life but now I’m a grown-up (of sorts) and so I get to participate. I love the ridiculous competition of games on Christmas night. I love the ridiculous gifts that Buba comes up with. I love missionary calls. I love the house hopping on Christmas Eve. I love watching faces as people open the gift that I so dilligently searched for ... that perfect gift. I love CHRISTMAS.



So naturally … I’m preparing myself. I called the Christmas Light Professionals and Vance is on it ~ our Little Brick House is going to be simple and beautiful ~ no colored lights (the M&M both gave that stamp of approval immediately). I’m thrilled! I’m also trying to figure out how to get a license to get my tree, as in cut my tree down on my own. There were two years in college Paul and Gunnison clan brought home beautiful trees, freshly cut, but I’m certain they did it under the eye of the law. I am not as slick, nor as knowledgeable in the cutting down of trees, I shouldn't take that risk … so I'm going to figure out how to do it legally. Sure, the tree last year was great … but I want to do it all the good old fashioned way. Anyone game? Paul and Tara/ Brent and Collette, do you want to come for a weekend and show me how to do this?

And so it begins ...

5 comments:

Stacy Ellison said...

Hooray for Christmas! it is my favorite time also. i almost broke out the eclipse christmas cd yesterday. i thought it might be a little early :) if you can't get a license you could head down to Grace and my dad will take you :) oh so much fun!

Chelsea said...

I agree, Christmas just can't come soon enough. I feel the same way. It seems like Conference weekend is the holiday kickoff for me. That with the cool weather just puts me in the mood. I can start listening to christmsa music without feeling guilty. Hooray for the holidays!!

Collette said...

That would actually be really fun! One year Brent and I cut our own tree down and tied it to the top of the contour...can you say red-neck? It was so much fun. Brent would love to do it again and we do live near the Uintas...think about it and let us know.

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

Oh dear. I just had this SAME conversations with T & C last night. I even purchased more Christmas songs than I already have... are you excited about this year's "Sounds of the Season '08" album?! It's gonna be great! I'll totally go tree chopping with you. Give me an axe!! :) hehe

Jeff and Kandis said...

I couldn't agree more, I am so excited for the holidays. The cold weather feels great right now!!