6.3.09

To Be Domestic ...

It's been a long time coming ... a very long time. But now is the time ... so let's get it out there. Admittance is the first step in having a problem. I am not domestic, I know ~ you are shocked. While living in CA I attempted but was more often than not saved by Rob in the kitchen or reminded that going out was easier than staying in for meals. I would be asked my opinion on a paint color or a swatch of fabric and it would be a quick yes or no response rather than the elaborate why and wherefores as to how I would see fit to proceed in the decor of a room. I can clean and I can organize, I LOVE TO DO THOSE THINGS, but much beyond that in way of building and filling a home is going to be left up to my many designing friends who I'm sure are thrilled with the future prospect of free consultations with a gal who really won't have much of an opinion. And to fill a home with sweet scents ... oh my, not my cup of tea.

For example, Mark and Jay bid on the "Stuffed Pork Chops, Home-Made Mashed Potatoes, Ornate Salad, Home-Made Rolls, with the FAMOUS BROWNIES," and they had to bid high. This was the TOP seller of the evening, obviously! However, I chopped things, I put things into a bowl. I was not in charge of anything but the salad that evening ... so when Mark made the comment, "This might be the best meal I've ever had ..." I looked across the table and then simply announced, "I had nothing to do with it." We laughed and all complimented Chef Rob for the delicacy in front of us.

I tried the make the brownies once here in UT to send back to CA ... bless my own sweet lil' heart for that ... I muffed that up pretty well and have vowed to attempt it again in a kitchen with Rob close by. After that I had Rob deliver the brownies, made by Rob, when I felt that they were needed.

So when The House to the North comes together not only in decor that astounds me, I appreciate the beauty once it is created, but also constantly smelling of rare cheese melted into avocados and precisely cut pieces of meat on a panini or a dessert that will knock your socks off, socks that I MUST have on ... all I can say is I like being at said House to the North.


You may not be able to tell from this picture (which I have been trying to find an adequate reason to post since taken in Jan!) as I gave the ridiculously fantastic pajamas and profound literature to him ... but this man cooks the panini's and makes things beautiful. And when he goes to bed I come out to watch the other half of the dynamic duo create this beautiful, to see and eat, cupcake below ... FROM SCRATCH (I don't even think Grams makes things from scratch anymore ... I don't know if Mounts ~ not including Rob ~ have ever cooked from scratch that was not slanted or too salty or too something). That's red velvet folks, truly. Look at that color!


One day I've been told I'll be willing to learn, have the time to learn, have the desire to learn ... or live in a house with white walls, furniture that was in the display window at the one stop furniture outlet, an empty fridge, and a drawer full of the BEST take-out menus in the city.