3.3.09

Something Else ...

I LOVE WINDY DAYS! I do. I love windy days. But not as much as I love windy nights, windy clear nights. I LOVE WINDY NIGHTS!

*******************************************

As I was driving down from their house I found myself in a bit of a daze, I had known that such would come after my visit in Centerville. I was driving to a distraction ... a little fast.

When I saw him flip around I pulled over, there was no other car on the road and I could not imagine there was a close drug bust he'd just gotten radioed about. He flipped his lights on as he pulled up behind me. I pulled out my license, realized my insurance and registration were still in my other purse due to the constant rental car life, and wanted to scream.

"Hi there"
"Hi Officer," I wished I were back east in a city where my face looks like Uncle Matt, Indianapolis' favorite Public Relations Officer and 'family consideration' comes into play when nieces drive too fast. There was some small talk, some questions ... most of my answers were short. I was not certain whether or not I was going to be able to get out of this one.

As Officer Centerville swaggered back to the bright lights I put my head down onto the steering wheel. This certainly was a final stamp on the long weekend. My mind and heart were trying to reconcile the events that had transpired and my foot, as per usual, was heavy on the gas. I deserved what was coming, 16 miles over ~ Mrs. Shepard would have grabbed my face and said 'that's really fast,' she would have been right.

I heard his door shut too quickly, that was not enough time to verify everything and write a ticket for Kathryn French.

"You seem to have driving without thinking about driving, you seem a bit distracted."
I apparently can't even hide things on a dark night to a police officer. "Yes, I am afraid I am. I am sorry officer." I could not come up with more than that.
He smiled, knowingly almost, as he handed me my license and only my license. "Okay, get to where you're going ... slowly." He patted the top of my car as he walked back to the bright lights.

Thank you Mr. Centerville Police Officer, I might love you a little bit.

1 comment:

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

Oh man! That is a great story! I got pulled over this summer, going 15 over on 1300 East. "Yes sir, I was driving really fast, and I'm really sorry..." Well, young lady, please drive safely and slow down... was all I got. Maybe we just have one of those faces?! :) Love you!