30.5.08

Wow is Right Benny


Benny was definitely right! I am several posts behind but I will save last weekends adventures for another day ... today let us discuss yesterday, I knew yesterday morning as I saw a rainbow over the West part of the Valley that it was going to be quite a day ~ a WOW day if I may.

This past weekend, in the midst of everything 'home', it was decided that I she be reacquainted with a brother-in-law of a good friend. Let us call said good friend L, her husband M, and said brother-in-law A. L was ecstatic as I walked in the house. Her little ones, two of the cutest little ones I know, had been told that I was going out with their Uncle. Her oldest, 6 ~ and we shall refer to her as such from henceforth ~ is quite articulate and opinionated for her age. One of the first things out of her mouth was "So when you marry A you will be my real Aunt, that would be great." I shot a look at her mother but had no time to chastise her for filling her daughters mind with such assumptive things because M & A entered. I thought that I would have more time ... I always think there is more time! ... but I spent a few minutes at an extra stop on my way up and lost the extra time in traffic on my way north. And we were off. Dinner at Union Grill. Not surprising, we folk from the Midwest enjoy our meat, M ordered a steak and I was pleasantly filled by the artichoke chicken. The conversation was nice and easy. We discussed our transportation ~ both of us huge fans of the F150! We discussed the Celtics and our hopes for them in the series. We discussed golf, okay, he talked about golf an I appreciated the education. It was a nice time (Make note of the word -nice-).

We returned to L & M's home to find little 6 and 2 in pajamas hoping for a bedtime story read by Uncle A and the bedbug song ~ a Mount speciality! How could I say no. It was in this moment of sweetness that I perhaps fell in love with A ... KIDDING! Breathe, I'm still me! It was in this moment however that I laughed hysterically at the dramatic bedtime reading and was laughed at during my own bedtime antics. It was a great moment, overly acknowledged by L but I love you in spite of that!

But I had to get going, I had a stop to make at the D's before heading home and drop of some Greys. Upon giving my excuse M looked at me with shocking disapproval, I'm not blind, I caught it. But I held firm, even next to these ginormous men (M's 6'9 and A comes in at 6'6). They did however take advantage of this girl, "Could you drop this book off at W's house on your way home?" I knew with a stop at the D's I was already putting myself home later than I had desired but how could I say no? I tried, trust me! But with directions previously prepared ~ my friends know me well enough to know I'll get lost in the neighborhood I grew up in without directions ~ and all three pairs of those ginormous eyes pulling on my heartstrings, I quickly caved. The night ended with embraces, as it should have. It was a a long hug with L ~ with obvious wishes whispered in low tones during the embrace. A rib cracking hug with M ~ with obvious wishes spoken in audible tones as he spun me around the room, the advantage of his ogreish size! And a nice hug with A, apologizing for the previous wishes ... he's nice.

I spent the drive down to the D's in thought. When did I become the dater? I'm the hangout -> makeout girl (sorry parental units) with obvious freak outs to occur six months down the line when discussions become necessary. I found myself lost in these thoughts when I realized I was at my destination ~ a bit scary when you don't really remember the drive! But I was safe and with DVDs in hand made my way in. There is something so great about D and Q ~ I would try to describe it but that's another post for another day. Q was sitting with Sweet Baby in his arms as D greeted me at the door. We spent a few minutes discussing politics, Q fulfilling my necessary daily dose. Then we got to the recap of the night. I used that -nice- word to describe things, D nodded in understanding while Q made a Dwight face (apparently something that's been pointed out to him many times before!) and began to inquire regarding my deeper thoughts. Before long we were laughing ~ it's not that A is a bad guy, it's rather that I am an ill-adjusted girl when it comes to this Mormon dating thing. I prefer the awkwardness at the six month point, not the six hour point (the length of many UT dates). Why have conversation when a movie and after activities are all that is truly desired? I'M KIDDING ... kind of. But it was definitely intriguing to discuss things with this couple. D gets my 'twisty' ways while Q is still adjusting and to be honest I'm trying my hardest to fix those 'twisty' ways into 'not-so-twisty' ways, I too am adjusting. I left the House on the Hill with a few more things to add to my already racing mind and a kiss to Sweet Baby's brow.

I was off, back on the 15 heading north ~ backtracking ~ because I could not figure out how to rectify the directions from the House on the Hill. I was mindlessly following the directions, thoughts lost in the ‘niceness’ of things and my need to adjust my way of thinking and doing this dating thing, when I found myself in a slightly familiar neighborhood. I didn’t think much of it as my mind was already at 110% capacity. It wasn’t until I called M to verify his handwriting that I realized I was in the neighborhood of a friend, whom I haven’t really spoken with as of late because sometimes life happens. As I drove past said friend’s house I saw said friend outside but I was looking for W’s house, mind whirling around D & Q’s conversation and the –niceness- of it all, and trying to pay attention to M giving me directions, I didn't stop. I was in such a whirl of thought that I went to the wrong house, twice. Should I have stopped to say hello? ... Wait, M, I'm sitting at that address ... no there is no basketball hoop ... Yes he looks like you ... turn left or right? ... Yes, A did open my doors ... does the house have blue shutters? ... I'm turning around now ... I eventually made it to the right house and W was there, the Teddy Bear he is, with arms wide open. I was tired and acting like a girl lost in a whirl. He attempted to make life better but I just wanted to get home, curl up in my blankets, windows down and fan on, and spend some quality time with John. He took the book, tried to hug it all away, and I made it out of the neighborhood, one wrong turn ~ AMAZING!

I made it home to find M and to soon be joined by the other M. All of us should have gone to bed but we stayed up and talked through the whirls that are our lives right now. It could not have been any more therapeutic, okay perhaps with Sundaes but we can’t have it too celestial! I made it to bed only to have even more to think about. In the midst of my thoughts I picked up my phone to look at the time, let's not discuss what time it actually was, I had missed a few calls and texts. One was from my sweet sister. The other, sent at 12:42 this morning, was from A, “Kas, tonight was nice. Let’s do it again soon.” It was nice … it was all nice, from Salt Lake to Kaysville to Ogden to Bountiful to Woodscross to home. It was so nice it was WOW. I fell asleep agreeing with Benny, WOW!

3 comments:

M said...

What a cute video. And WOW, are we are WAY overdue for sundaes!

Megan said...

Ha ha ha Kas - you are great. I honestly think you should write a book. . . I doesn't have to be about anything special, just write . . . b/c you're quite the entertaining writer, I love it! What a fantastic post

M said...

Hi, me again. Pretty sure I've watched that video a dozen times. Can we play that game at our house? With chocolate covered cinnamon bears as a reward? (Reading my other comment I realize we eat SO healthy!)