14.2.09

Keep 'Em Alive!

I'll be honest ... February 14 is a day that is fun. As a child in the house of Dad and Mom Valentines Day, emphasis in the DAY part of things as Dad and Mom had us with a sitter at night, was big. We would have heart pancakes for breakfast but even before that we would find a poster-board full of candy sentences telling us how loved we were. We would eat as many pancakes as Dad could flip!

If it was a school day, we would then load up our arms full of treats. My mother didn't just send us with a bag of candy for our classmates, no! We went BIG! It was a large homemade cookie, decorated with the names of our classmates, illegible most of the time but full of love from the creator. It was a Rice Krispie Treat shaped like a Hershey's Kiss, the size of your fist, and then wrapped in tinfoil ... four kids * four full classes = an afternoon of fun and ten+ pans of Rice Krispies. It was fun Valentines from the store but with a sweet and sincere (even if we did not like the classmate) note. Then lunch was a treat, all hearts ... EVERYTHING edible in honor of Valentines. Coming home we would find our rooms heart attack with even more reasons our parents love us ~ we were really good kids apparently!

Dinner was much like breakfast but dyed RED or PINK and with dinner food.

Then Dad and Mom would disappear and we would be entertained by the babysitter ~ Tommy would chase us or Cherilyn would cook us brownies, heart shaped of course!





These past few Valentines , sans the parental units under the same roof to provide that constant energy and excitement, have actually been worth the space they have in my mind. This Valentines I feel will be an adventure in its own way. My question is ... why flowers? I tend to kill things!! I'm going to try my hardest to keep them alive but let's call a spade a spade. The only actual thing that will remain after Sunday, maybe Monday if I try hard enough, will be the OBAMA trading cards ~ which I now have 2 sets of as Grams sent me some just the other day!!

But let's be honest. Robs knows me best. Below is from Robs, the winner. It probably helps that as the 'older sister' figure of she remembers my flower opinions and capabilities!


And so it begins ... Valentines Day 2009! Happy Valentines Day!

3 comments:

Marilee Leishman said...

I love your Valentine memories. Sounds like fun. I want to do some of those things with my kids. Your parents are cute!

Brianna said...

Hey- I don't remember the big cookie with classmates names on it. But I do remember vividly those rice crispy kisses. I definitely love being loved.

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

There really are Obama trading cards? and you have 2 of them? :) hehe, that's why I like you :)