15.12.09

11 ...

Last year BS came into town with their children, who are highly entertaining.  I counted down the days until their arrival and found a portable crib for Ash {which I believe is still in your room Matt}, carseats for he and Aves, the makings Matt needed for breakfast {I'm good at the grocery shopping, a start I suppose}, and blankets for the masses.  I was incredibly on top of things for the 8:20 arrival of the flight from Omaha.  I was shocked as I found myself still at the office when B's number came up on my phone, it was only 7:45 ... their plane had landed, early ... obviously.  I hopped into the car and headed up the 15, thrilled that my friends were only moments away.  I called Matt to let him know I was picking up our early arrival and with a panicked voice I was told to stall.  "How do I stall from the airport to your house? They have tired kids." I was told to figure it out. 

The greeting at the airport was full of hugs and squeals and B rolling his eyes at S and I as we acted like we hadn't communicated with one another in ages while he knew full well that we talked at minimum two times a week for at least a half an hour.  He loaded up the back of the wagon, barely what with the strollers and two weeks worth of supplies for the family of four and we were off.  I followed the speed limit and on the other side of the door at the House on the Corner was greeted with a "Nice work Kas!" Following the speed limit is delay enough apparently.


We stayed up late that night, being entertained by Aves and cuddling with Ash and baby Cameron {DQ came to visit! PS: Most of my married friends have fun combined initials as you can tell}.  Aves demanding the duo of her gracious host and chauffeur to put her to bed so up we went, I told the story and Matt sang a little ditty {maybe two or three as Aves batted her eyes in attempt to prolong her retirement for the evening}.  It was nice just sitting there, with old friends, laughing and remembering times gone by. 


The next morning we arose to snow but we are all tough so we thought nothing of it as Matt created a breakfast for Champs, I encourage any and all to request his French Toast for breakfast at chateau de House on the Corner. As BS and I got ready for the day Matt took care of Aves but it turned into the five year old, standing tall at 37 inches, versus the 29 year old, standing just shy of 76 inches, in a match of gymnast skills.  Needless to say the rest of were a bit distracted and in turn delayed in preparations.

Long story long {thank you John}, we got on the road, B at the wheel because it was his family and 'if there is going to be an accident let it be with me at the wheel,' I couldn't have agreed more.  Well, we missed the knocking on the wood or something because as we passed Mantua in Sardine Canyon the car coming west off of the hill slid across the road and right into the car. 



The Christmas Miracle: In a spot where death had occured just 10 days prior, on road conditions a little better than our own, at a speed that was much lower than I would have been going {keeping us on the road at impact instead of in a ditch a foot and a half to our right}, two deployed airbags and a banged up side later ... no one was injured.  A wonderful family B's family knew took us in until S's parents {whom I have adored every since our meeting in Grace all those years prior} came to the rescue with B's parents right behind them.  These strangers to us, their name has escaped me, opened their home to us for several hours as we waited our personal rescue team.  I tend to be an anxious girl {shocking, I know} and both S and I had a bit of anxiety as the realization of what could have happened hit in those following hours.  But in a home where the true Spirit of Christmas resided that day we found peace, for their hearts were open even more than their doors.

To M: Can we have more sleepovers involving fun friends and ending with French Toast?
To BS and AA: I wouldn't have chosen anyone else to go through that with ... and that's the truth.  I'm glad you were driving B, I'll always let you even with your gangster stance behind the wheel.
To Mantua Family: Thank you for your kindness and generosity that cold December morning, it will not be soon forgotten.

Merry Christmas BSAAMF and M!! See you in t-minus 82 hours ... I may or may not be counting.

2 comments:

Stacy Ellison said...

kas, i make it on the blog with a picture and everything and that is the best one you can find of me! oh boy! jk. i'm glad we all survived the crash. i might find that lovely family in mantua and send them another thank you letter. can't wait till you get here!

Marilee Leishman said...

How fun! I miss those guys!