14.12.09

12 ...

I do not remember a year prior to my seventeenth when we were not here the Friday evening following Thanksgiving. 



 Yes, I grew up in a bit a euphoric town.  Yes, the whole population would gather in Market Square to sing carols and watch the lights be turned on.  Yes, we would each have a hot chocolate in hand.  Yes, I would be on my Uncle Max's shoulders to be able to see better while Bri was on Uncle Mike's, Buba was on Uncle Joe's, Jacob on Uncle Matt's, and Josh on Dad's.  Yes, we would put our hands in their hair to keep them warm.  Yes, Grandma would sing loudly and all of us grandchildren would roll our eyes.  Yes, we would see our friends and ask to get down to talk with them.  Yes, Gramps would look at each of us and wink as we rejoined in the singing with the family.  Yes, I would look at the Foresters and think that one day I would be a part of this choir my mom and uncles were in.  Yes, I would stare up at the sky to see the stars and smile.  Yes, if I were lucky, as I gazed up towards the bright evening star the snow would fall on my face and I would get all sorts of excited for the sledding to happen shortly! Yes, we would count down with the entire audience as the lights were turned on.  Yes, it was magical.  Yes, I plan on raising my children in the euphoric land called where everyone does know your name and the town is still town and you take a train {a magical train} into the city.  

So Market Square:  I miss you.  Every Post-Thanksgiving Day day, as the world celebrates Black Friday, I think of a time when my only worry was whether or not I would get the solo I wanted in Wednesday group.  I think of taking the train from Lake Bluff to Lake Forest to go to Sweet's.  I think of the first time I left LFHS to go to Einsteins instead of going to class.  I think of going into Toy Station and making my mental list for Santa.  I think of your lights and the casual chaos you ensue during the month of December.  I think of how that chaos is not one of strangers but rather of friends, all friends, no stranger in sight.  You are not a crazy mall, you are not an impersonal venue.  You belong to us.  You are magical.  You, Market Square, are part of my Christmas Past, a part I always hope to see in my dreams around this time of year. 

Merry Christmas Market Square! Hopefully you will be in my Christmas future, the near future!

1 comment:

Brianna said...

Where did you get this picture? I loved that Christmas lighting. I think we should make plans to be there for this coming year. That and the convent next the lake.