14.12.09

14 ...

I had been in Ephrata for nine months.  Everyone knew my time was coming to an end.  Brown and Justice basically had told me during the last round of transfers that I had pushed all of the available buttons and pulled all visible strings, my time in my perfect little town of seven thousand was going to end.  Christmas fell during my final week among these people.

The three wards opened their hearts and homes to Felix and I that Christmas season.  We were showered with more food than any missionary should ever see {it's no wonder the average weight gain in the mission is fifteen pounds}.  We were introduced to new people to teach as families shared "Mr. Krueger's Christmas" and invited us to join them.  We were loved.

The night before we had joined the Adams in playing Santa.  Nadine and Roger, one of my more favorite couple crushes, allowed us to be a part of their family tradition in blessing the lives of those in need this particular evening.  To be in their home that night, as was the case anytime we were able to be there, was a joy.  Singing carols as we wrapped gifts, laughing at the moments that had transpired over the last nine months, remembering the first day I had walked into their house, a day and a half after losing Uncle Mike, and feeling a sense of belonging ... If I close my eyes tightly enough I can still feel the magic, the acceptance, the happiness, the love that is cultivated in their home.  As we dropped off gifts that night, laughing so hard we were crying as Roger almost fell while Stu and BJ were running in opposite directions to avoid being caught, I remember thinking how simple this evening was and yet how much joy was being cultivated.  They truly were and continue to be one of my favorite families.

So to the Adams: Thanks not only for the memories made on Christmas Eve and the smiles that you induced on Christmas morning in the homes of those seeking truth but for all of the memories.  Thank you for hilarious commentary prior to the meetings, for the hilarious commentary during in meetings, and for the hilarious commentary after the meetings.  Thank you for understanding.  Thank you for enduring.  Thank you for living each day as true examples of the living spirit of Christmas.

Merry Christmas Adams!! Don't fall running!!