7.12.09

19 ...


Girlfriend was having a rough day, life for a kindergartner is a roller-coaster of emotions filled with art projects, new friends, and math.  This particular afternoon was the peak of the coaster.  Cowboy was not having it, he rolled his eyes and asked when Bunk or Em were coming over, he was not getting the normal dotting attention he was prone to and needed this remedied immediately.  Robs was in Chicago closing up RSNA.  We were in the truck, Girlfriend basically having a melt down, Cowboy about to join her in her ridiculous behavior ~ I could not drive fast enough up the hill.

"In the living room, now," I said, using my best Phyllis voice ~ it worked.  In spite of the alligator tears coming down her face and heaves that I might not have been able to match at my most dramatic moment and the eyes diving deep into the back of his head with every other gasp for air his sister made they sat on the couch, knowing better than to cross me when I sounded like Grams. I looked at them, trying to think of some brilliant parenting skill I had witnessed in my 24 years of life.  There had to be something that could calm them so that I could get something edible on the table, homework done, reading done, and have two sleeping children ... allowing me to accomplish some wrapping, card addressing, and finishing the decor prior to Robs return later that week. 

My time was running out, Girlfriends sobs began to get louder and louder and Cowboy was giving me the 'ready-to-bolt' eyes.  I turned around, hoping for some brilliant inspiration and found it.  The tree, with flannel ribbon, home-made ornaments, and prelit with white lights {we are a white light only family ~ racist, I know but in this case I don't mind and think my future constituents will not hold this against me}. 

Without words I laid down beneath the tree and then called them to join me.  Girlfriend did not hesitate, Cowboy was my skeptic.  But I gave the instruction again in Phyllis' voice and he joined quickly.  With me between them we observed the lights from below in silence.  I almost started to begin a lecture but stopped myself, it took serious self-control.  We just laid there.  With time her breathing became less labored and he stopped his heavy sighs.  Cowboy was always the cuddler and this moment proved no different, he cuddled close and took my hand to his head.  Girlfriend followed suit, flanking my free side and sliding my hand to her nose.

I then began to them about Sneaky, their elf who had started to watch the house the week before.  He followed them to school and he had left a note for them somewhere but I had misplaced it, I would find it after they went to bed.  CB had a million questions, GF soaked it all in.  After an hour ~ yes, an hour ~ both of the children understood Sneaky and his job with Guy up North and that they were being watched.  As we crawled out from under the tree Girlfriend said words that I will never forget nor will I let her, "Kas, sorry I was dramatic" ~ yes, they are taught the 'big words' and use them properly.  Cowboy then chimed in with his favorite word of the month, as taught by Bunk, "Yep, we need to be melo, super melo, Sneaky likes melo kids, huh Kas?"  I explained Sneaky wanted them to have fun and laugh and be crazy and dance and sing and enjoy the Christmas but he, like me and Mom and Mrs. B at school, needed them to understand when it was a good time for that and when it was not and not be 'dramatic' when it was not that time.  He understood.

As we knelt that night to pray, it was CB's turn I heard this phrase "And Heavenly Father and Dad, {they frequently included their Dad as a recipients of their requests, especially the important ones} can you help us know when Sneaky is watching?  And help him to only see us good, k?"  {Reread without an -r- ability and you'll get an idea of just how hard it was for me not to bust out in laughter and wish that Bunk or Em had been there to hear it.} 

Girlfriend and Cowboy: I miss you every day, some days more than others.  But go lay under the tree and be melo for a moment.  I'm certain Sneaky is still watching, he helped the Tooth Fairy get to your two teeth just the other day Cowboy.  Remember Dad and Mom are also watching, closely.  So Girlfriend, no need to be dramatic.  Or respond to Girlfriend's drama with more drama and eye rolls, Cowboy. I love you both ten bazillion Frescas and one Dr. Pepper.

Merry Christmas Girlfriend and Cowboy!!  I'll see you in January!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are my favorite writer!! Love ya...dad