10.12.09

17 ...

So I have this friend and he does this thing and that thing is going on dates {I know, it happens}.  This is not rare among my friends, we do this dating thing but Hockey has a goal for a set number by a his next birthday.  In the midst of our brainstorming one night for fun date ideas a night on Temple Square came up.


"I'm going to ask you to promise me one thing, right now."  I needed the agreement prior to the statement but he's not as accommodating as some of you.  Hockey made that Kasi-is-ridiculous Face and waited for me to continue.  "Okay, well, just promise me that you won't actually take someone to Temple Square.  Yes, lights ... great.  But seriously Hockey, its the most overused and cliche moment.  Promise me."  He continued to make the Kasi-is-ridiculous face, waiting for me to continue, which I did.  "Okay, well then, promise me that it won't be a first date.  You can't take the first date to see the Christmas lights on Temple Square, a second or third fine, but not the first date."

The Kasi-is-ridiculous Face disappeared and in its place was the Funny Face, I'm not going to expound ~ you should get what that would be indicative of.  "Kasi, I plan on taking a first date there, holding hands, riding in a carriage, seeing the lights, and popping the question right there."  Funny Hockey, real funny.

...

It was my sophomore year at USU.  He was nice so I agreed to the date and looked forward to getting to know him a bit more.  He did not tell me the plans, just to dress warm.  YAY! that meant we were going sledding or something fabulous and adventurous.  Nope, I was sucker-punched with the reality that we had an hour drive ahead of us {seriously, in my mind a first date doesn't need to be longer than an hour, just long enough to learn a few things, laugh, and determine if you can spend that time with one another without wanted to gouge your eyes out}, a walk on Temple Square, and another drive home ~ late, through Sardine. 


We had a great drive down, great conversation to my surprise.  Then we made it to Temple Square.  Please understand, Christmas to me is a time for magic and fun and magic and family and magic and laughter and magic and friends and magic.  I love Christmas lights {another post for another day}.  I love the Temple.  I love walking.  I do not love the complete awkwardness that is the first date, walking with arms
tucked deep into our own pockets and conversation hitting a lull as we watched couple after couple pass and family after family take advantage of the great photo opportunity.

After taking in all we could of the lights we headed back to the car.  Sweet B, who I actually did end up going out with for a bit {the typical bit for me}, opened my car door and just started laughing.  "This was a bad idea I think."  At that point we both just started laughing and then we laughed some more.  As we drove north we hopelessly mocked ourselves and the potential outcomes for that date ... B could have left with a wife had he chosen the right partner that evening!  Then our conversation moved to the lights, the magic of it all ...

...

So to B I say:  Thank you for the hilarity in the the midst of finals and awkwardness.  I'm glad you popped the question to W at the apartment and not at the light display attended by hundreds each day ~ she's like me and enjoys her privacy.  It was the best worst first date ever ~ one point to you!  Those 20 minutes of meandering, not arm in arm, were  priceless!

Merry Christmas B and family!! I'm still laughing!!

No comments: