20.11.08

My Lake

We sat in silence as the water splashed against the rocks. I could sit in silence until the sun came up but he wants to discuss things. He always does. However, he was new to my Lake. I was not encouraging of discussion as I refused the bait of his exasperated sighs. I wanted him to enjoy the comforting darkness ahead of us. There were a few more sighs but my bullheadedness won that battle.

*******

I was nine. The adults were diligently unpacking the house for Grams and Gramps and I meandered down to the waterfront. This was not a normal beach. There was no sand, just large boulders for my little webbed feet to walk. I walked for bit, when I turned around I could no longer see the house so I began the walk back. The bodies through the large window panes were still moving and I was not interested in unpacking another something and being ordered to take it to some unknown room. I found a large, smooth, grey-speckled-with-white-rock out at the waters edge and sat down. As I looked to the South and squinted I could see what I was certain was my City. As I looked to the North and squinted I was certain that Milwaukee was not far off. I was right in the middle, on my Lake. The day quickly faded away and the sun set behind me. The moon greeted me, directly ahead. It was huge and beautiful. I watched as it grew smaller and reached further up in the sky. It reflected off of my Lake with perfection.

********

As the moon crept up the black backdrop of the night the sighs disappeared all together. The moon shone perfectly along that deep blue, with a tail of light leading right to my rock. It was not fearful of the small ripples leading to the shore. It held its place in the sky and on the waters face, it knew its place. I had forgotten he was sitting next to me as the time moved on. He brought me back to reality as he squeezed my hand. I turned to look at him and found a common amazement in his eyes. It was now his Lake as well, his rock. I smiled and found the crook in his neck that I had come to call my own as well. “So this is why you don’t like the mountains of Utah?” He said with a smirk in his voice.

No comments: