25.4.08

Hermie ... The Magic Wand

There are few things in life that I cannot live without. My parents, obviously. My siblings, it's a good thing we all think the world of one another and can get past childish squirms (and by 'we' I mean me ~ shocking that I would ever hold a childish grudge). My weekly conversation with Grams and the bi-weekly moments of sweetness with Gramps - this is a picture of him, HANDSOME ISN'T HE? in his White Elephant gift from last year. My pictures, my room is covered in pictures of everyone I don't get to see on a weekly basis! And my Hermie ... Hermie? Go ahead, I know you want to ... who is Hermie?





Well, Hermie (from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer) was given to be by a great friend my Freshman year of college. I had large dreams and hopes to bust out of the mold I had somehow been placed in and I was finding obstacles and discouragements at every turn - ENTER HERMIE!
WHY? SEE HERMIE FACTS
Hermie made it through three years at USU inclusive of one roommate who thought that Unicorns should overtake Hermie's space, four roommates weddings, a bugged apartment (and I literally mean bugged, as in spy gear in my apartment, I still haven't forgiven you Nate!), the ups and downs of guy sagas, the roller-coaster that was Hillside, one sleepover with the Gunnison guys (Hermie went solo on that one!), Saturday mornings with Pauly screaming obscenities because of a broken truck, and all else that was inclusive of USU years. Hermie made it through a summer of EFY, two summers with Grams (which, as Adam and Dave, respectively, will attest was not an easy thing for me!), and a summer of indecisiveness. Hermie made it through a mission inclusive of 11 companions, four areas and everything that encompasses. Hermie made it through a year in California - I think that might have been his favorite year!

When I was packing up that fateful day, a bit over six months ago now, Cass walked into my room. Earlier that morning I had given her Hermie, as a 24 year old I thought I could live without my stuffed fictional character. But as Cass watched, with those old eyes and observant heart, she saw that I was pretty sad about things. She walked out of my room, I was grateful, I could shed the tears I was so desperately trying to hide. She came back in quickly however, I was caught in the act. She walked over to me, calmly, and handed Hermie back to me. "I think he wants to stay with you."

I have had Hermie during this transition ... but I've transitioned. I live in Utah, I love my job, I love my ward, I love my friends, I love my house (thanks to Mar and her great design abilities!), I love the snow capped mountains. So I sent Hermie back to California to be with Cass.
This past weekend, she offered me something in exchange. And although my love for Hermie is deeper than my excessive word count can describe, I think I may have gotten the better end of the deal. She gave me a Magic Wand, created by her! I love it! It's beautiful!

I love you Cass ... take good care of Hermie. I'll be back in a month to check in on him!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Aww, I love this post!!! When are you writing a book???? And according to wikipedia Hermie is spelled H-E-R-M-E-Y,, just thought you'd like to know. ;)

Beth said...

Kas,
How could I forget the unicorns! Just call me harmony....wow that was some poster she had on her wall. I didn't think they still made those vevelt marker boards still. Anyways all, good memories of hillside (entered between the garbage dumpster and the tree).
Thanks for the memories!
Beth