24.4.08

Love's Anniversary

Love is an interesting thing. When we are younger we use the word LOVE to describe our affection with things, "I love my doll" or "I love to jump on the trampoline". As we grow older we begin to understand the word love as only our little minds can. Our parents love us, they feed us and keep us in clothes that fit. We love our animals, they keep us company and are our friends. We continue to use the word LOVE to describe things, "I love DisneyLand" or "I love summer". Our little minds grow and our understanding of LOVE increases. Our parents love turns into a 'tough love' and the understanding decreases for a bit while we LIVE AS TEENAGERS - I don't know about the rest of you but I am certain that I used the phrase "You don't love me, you love to make my life miserable" a few times during that age. We still continue to use the word however, "I love that bag" or "I love that show".

Now, as I near 25, I have come to understand - in my own little way - love. How? Well, my family. My parents ... Happy Anniversary!
Today my parents celebrate 27 years of marriage. It's been an incredible journey for them. As their child I have had the opportunity to watch them love one another over the years. My parents, Jeff and Marcia (my name sake for some of you), love each other more than my words could ever convey. They have stood next to each other through all that life has had to offer them. I could go on and list a million separate incidences of their cuteness, their partnership, their strengths ... ect. ect. ect. but that is not necessary. My parents have been the incredible example of enduring, selfless, eternal love. In a world where things end on a daily basis, where promises are broken all too frequently, where selfishness flows like wine ... I have been given the gift of an eternal family. My parents stand at the head of that family, hand in hand, with a love that is unmatched by any Hollywood creation, any characters in a novel. The love that I grew up watching - it offers hope. Thank you Dad and Mom - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

My understanding of love is only magnified by other members of my family and at the top of that list is my Uncle Mike. My Uncle was taken from us three years ago today but his life continues to influence my own.

I remember the last time I heard my Uncle Mike sing, saw him laugh, felt his arms around me. We had just spent the evening eating sushi and Cold Stone Ice Cream. We laughed and I reveled in the attention from my Uncle Mike. Since the day ~ I can first recall ~ I first had one on one attention with my Uncle I felt so unique, so adored, so loved. I knew that I was a princess. And it ~ this royal feeling ~ was only magnified that last night by a million. I remember looking across that diner table, after eating some type of funky little creature, and seeing not only pride for this niece of his, but that adoration. Perhaps, no, ceratinly the Lord was granting me these final moments of perfection with my Uncle Mike so that I might have something to hang on to. As we returned to the house we sat in the kitchen and he pulled out his guitar. His voice echoed through the house. I laughed at his attempt to remember words and then provided him with the correct ones. Then he finished with ‘Shower the People’ ~ in retrospect I can see that the Spirit was there within that room. I locked eyes with my Uncle; I knew that he loved me. In that instant it was as though no one else existed, it was just me and my uncle, and I knew all was right in the world. I remember crying as the song ended for I was not going to hear that voice for 18 months ~ little did I know that is would actually be a lifetime. But I felt the love of my Uncle. He looked across the room to some far off place it seemed. I then saw him, my Uncle, as he is, a changed, humble, and strong man. I knew his life and it brought many obstacles but he had done just fine. He had made it. Then his eyes came back down to me, I felt of his love.

The last letter - and only for that matter, Uncle Mike was not the greatest at communicating with his favorite niece while on her mission but his amazing wife, Robs, helped push him to the computer - was just a month or so prior to his death. He spoke of seeing beyond the fog of this world and his love of the Lord, his wife, and our family. Then he ended simply, with words that I will cherish for the rest of this life "Kas, love the Lord. His love will carry us all. I love you. Your favorite Uncle Mike"I love you too ... you are greatly missed.

4 comments:

Jeff and Kandis said...

I forgot it was your parents anniversary too, that kinda makes it a different day. Congrats to them, they are a shining example of what a marriage is about.
Thanks for the sweet words!
Kan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great message. It's great to be in a romance and ride the roller coaster of love with your daddy. We like you tons and someday I hope to grow up to be just like you guys.

Danielle said...

sweet tribute , i love you kasi!

Emily said...

Crying at work...you inspire me. I love you to death!