21.4.08

Kalifornia Weekend

I needed to “get out of Dodge” so I changed the oil (okay, Saturn changed the oil), recruited two great roommates, and we left for California late Friday afternoon.

Saturday was an early morning of TBall and the Pancake House


The rest of the day was filled with ordinary ~ exactly what I needed. The kids had a birthday party over at ‘little Ryan’ ~ as opposed to ‘big Ryan’ or more commonly known as Bunk. So we had E singing in the shower – who doesn’t love a 5 year old that can’t pronounce his –R-s jamming out to HairSpray! Cass was doing her hair … such independence. Then Robs and I hit the pantry in organization mode – my need to ‘fix’ shining through. After we broke and watched Juno, enter Em! It was as if I had never left! Girl chat, squeals, Em’s Diet Coke ~ perfection!

That night we ventured out back to the pool … an easy venture seeing how it was 98 degrees in the pool and 105 in the hot tub. Martha entertained for a time with her low blood sugar! Enter Roselynn, Bunk, and CL … I could kick myself for not taking any pictures but I was on a few meds and simply too tired to do such things. Craig started telling stories, enter Pease. OKAY UNDERSTAND: THIS GROUP OF FRIENDS IS RARE. NEVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE – NEARING 25 YEARS – HAVE I EVER KNOWN A GROUP OF MEN TO HAVE SO MANY AWKWARD AND ENTERTAINING MOMENTS. WE GO FROM LAWYER TO SCALPER (I’M DEAD SERIOUS!) TO FISH FARMER TO ELECTRICIAN AND EACH … WELL, I JUST WISH YOU KNEW THEM TO ENJOY THIS AS MUCH AS I DID!

Pease is the scalper! After a year, I don’t even know Pease’s real name – awkward! (THANKS MATT - I'm learning something new every day - today I learned that Pease's first name is MATT) But Pease sneaks, ‘obviously’ into the back yard and then proceeds to tell us about his day. He had three events, the last being Elton John which bombed! But apparently the first two were successful for him. How do we know such things? Well, he had so much money in his back pocket that when he bent over to pick up a dropped ticket his pants split … ‘obviously’!



(These pictures are not from this weekend. This was Em and Craig being funny, the boys at the "Best Activity EVER!", and Bunk on his very own Birthday Stripper Pole! - how can they not be fantastic!) Between that story, ‘tickets’, Bees in the house, the moon shining brightly, Bunks relationship with all persons in the local food industry(who cares their orientation!), CL’s constant ‘obviously’ … well, we were only missing Monti’s constant ‘appropriate’ remarks! I crawled into bed that night with the simple knowledge that my friends are the greatest!

Yesterday morning we had our Beach Walk … the weather was perfect!



Then we ventured back to Utah! Sure, I wanted to stay to see Cass’ latest creation for sharing, to hear E tell me that ‘actually, I know’ a million times, to contemplate life as I know it with Robs, to be entertained by the rarities I proudly claim as my friends … but it was time to come back to Utah.

So I’m back, the mountains are pretty, the temple close, and grown-up-life is occurring ... but I’m just wondering if anyone is game to go next weekend?

3 comments:

Brenda said...

So I am jealous. It is freezing cold here and I am so cold my bones hurt! We were in E town this weekend and it snowed! I need some good Cali sunshine on my skin. Ohhh - here comes the rain - bummer.

M said...

So we had the camera at-the-ready for such things as the boring car ride, but NOT for my BS attack? We need to remedy that. I need to see evidence of all the "craziness." Get ready to hit the REC button! And yes, let's go back. Is tomorrow too soon?

Emily said...

I loved, loved, LOVED this post!!! :) Thanks so much for coming!!! You are such an amazing friend to me and I really do wish you were closer. Love you!!