11.4.08

Krazy Monday - Part II

Okay … so Monday!

Monday, as far as I’ve heard … was a rough day! Again, due to the high doses of medication my mind was not all there (please keep all comments to yourself regarding my mind and its presence when I am not looped out on pain killers!).

I woke up on Monday morning in pain. I think I had slept some. I stood up and walked over to the shelves where Ashley had put all of my medication the night before ~ shelves I had put up myself! I started opening bottles and pouring pills. NOTE TO ANYONE THAT MIGHT BE CONSIDERING FALLING OFF OF A HORSE: WHEN WAKING UP AND ADMINISTERING MEDICATION TO YOURSELF, READ THE FINE PRINT (IE: TAKE WITH FOOD). I took my medicine and then apparently started to be noisy.

Meanwhile, in a room adjacent to mine … Martha was being woken up. Martha is a diabetic and she has this nifty little monitor that gives her notices on her blood sugar levels, this particular morning she was low. The thing is, with these nifty little monitors, they are not REAL TIME (as Jack would tell us), they run 20 minutes behind. So Martha was being woken up to an alert that twenty minutes prior to her eyes opening her body was in need of some serious sugar.

Sweet Martha however heard her noisy roommate and came in to check on her prior to getting any food in her own system. I was standing in the middle of my room.

“How ya doing Kas?” Martha asked while standing against my doorway.
“I think I’m going to puke …” I lean forward. Martha, with cat-like instincts (again, where did this phrase come from? I tend to look at cats as the lazy type, it’s the dogs that are quick to greet you at the door with tails wagging or go on a run!) quickly grabbed my waste basket (not a real basket, thank goodness!) and I began to expel all of the medicine that I had just given myself. Martha stood there holding the basket. After a bit I was done. She then took the basket outside to the trash bin and cleaned out my trash, all with low blood sugar mind you.

The next thing I remember I was standing in the kitchen. Martha was standing in her doorway. She didn’t look so good, in fact, she looked much like I felt and for any of you that are wondering, that was awful. She began to sink to the floor. My ears started ringing. I asked her what she needed. She said something but my ears were ringing so loudly that I could not hear her. I began to panic, I was going deaf! Screaming I told her my ears were ringing and I couldn’t hear her, she screamed back at me and told me she needed the red box from the kitchen drawer, her insulin shot. At this point I was in a bit of pain and had fallen to the floor and was reaching for the drawer. I was crying, convinced I was going deaf and in a bit of pain. She was screaming which drawer and I finally managed to get it.

It was at this point, with both Martha and I laying on the floor of our sweet little house that Martha offered up a prayer, “Help.”
I managed to get the insulin shot to her. She was too weak to give it to herself. Where were our other roommates, the medical smart ones? The ringing in my ears was getting louder which lead to my screaming being louder – not logical but I was in pain and realizing I would never hear sweet voices and pretty noises again! Maren made it upstairs as Ashley walked in the door – a thirty second return rate on that prayer, yes, Martha is living right!

Here is what they saw: Martha, pale and weak, laying in her doorway. Me, screaming that I was loosing my hearing and trying to figure out if my pain was more important than that, now somehow standing in the middle of my room. Maren took Martha, Ashley took me.

In the mess of the past ten minutes Martha had actually managed, miraculously, to get some food in her body … the body that was now reacting to food. She was convinced however that both she and I had carbon monoxide poisoning, her ears were ringing – the power of suggestion. Maren was feeling fine and convinced Martha that we were not all going to die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Martha then, in a bit more of a logical manner, went to all of the information given with the meds I had just taken. I was still screaming. She lied, “Kas, it’s a side-effect of the medicine. The ringing is just a side-effect.” I didn’t hear her, my ears were ringing.

Ashley, in a Dr. Karev type manner, took my face in her hands. “Kas, you’re fine.” She kept repeating this apparently until I stopped my hysterical crying. It was at this moment that I admitted with sniffles and tears, “Maybe I should have stayed at the hospital last night.” Yes, here it is folks, Matt and Ashley, in their logical and non-medicated state, were the wise ones the day before. Ashley smiled and I’m certain on some level gloated … it’s not often that I acknowledge my wrongness and someone else’s rightness. She managed to get some medicine inside of me, I put my head to my pillow and fell asleep. Martha did the same.

Both Martha and I woke up later that morning, rested and able to hear. I still have no idea why my ears were ringing so bad.

Kirsten and the boys came to visit!








Honestly, I don’t remember them coming but it’s been documented! Porter and Mason brought Marcia ~ for those of you that don’t know all of the guys I grew up with refer to me as Marcia, I don’t remember them ever calling me by Kasi. So naturally Dave’s children also refer to me as such. After questioning Porter over Easter weekend I found that they are confident that my real name really is Marcia and Kasi is a stranger! ~ a loaf of yummy bread that we shared. Then the little guys got to watch Charlie and Lola in the sweet 'kids place' we have in our house! Sweet Benny and I shared a smoothy. And though I don’t remember I’m certain life was happier while they were visiting!

I slept more and took more meds and slept some more.

Then, late Monday night happiness and relief arrived in the form of … ROBIN! This is one memory I am certain of. Amazing Ashley, who had been on Kasi Watch 2008 all day, had gone to get her at the airport. When I heard them upstairs, I had made it downstairs!, my heart leapt!

UNDERSTAND: I HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH THE MOST AMAZING FRIENDS. I LOVE THEM WITH ALL OF MY HEART. I WOULD NOT TRADE THEM FOR A MILLION DOLLARS. THEY INCREASE MY HAPPINESS ON A DAILY BASIS. BUT HAVING A FAMILY MEMBER … WELL, IT WAS GOOD.



Robin came down stairs, we hugged and I cried ~ happy tears. She brought pictures of the kids … I love them. She brought me a Robin brownie … I loved it. She brought constant care and love … I love her. She gave me meds and I went to bed … I love that. I slept.

That was Monday!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

How crazy! I am glad you are all alive! Take care of yourself. If I was there I would come take care of you! Get some rest and eat with your meds!

Gabby said...

Actually...this is Monday...I think that was technically Friday??? I loved reading your blog. I'm a phone call away...
love ya!

Marilee Leishman said...

OH MY GOODNESS, I had no Idea. I hope you are feeling a little better. I will call you soon!