29.4.09

Pirate Play

Treasure Island has opened!

Opening night I sat on the ‘good side’ with fingers crossed. There were some things that did not go so well during the final dress that had to … go better. When the lights came up on Sam in the Southwest corner of the stage my heart leapt, it had begun. I’m certain that during the first ten exciting minutes of the show I jumped three times, hid my head in Scot’s shoulder twice, and was surprised as feet slid across the stage – and I had seen it all, close to four times a week, for the past four weeks. As the show progressed I would cross my fingers or sit at the edge of my seat, certain that if I leaned forward enough they would hear what I was thinking and remember that that blade is getting awfully close to Cooper’s head or that the barrel needed to be moved a bit to the left. Amazingly, they heard me … that or realized on their own, which is far more likely.

Greg slammed the stick down, Garrick hobbled without hesitation and looked as one-legged as a two-legged man is capable of, Cooper delivered his narration as the child, Tim died as best I’ve ever seen, Jeff died with a shake that made me hide my head again … As the lights came down and the ‘bum, bum, bum, bum’ came out over the sound system I imagined Cooper stomping with arms ‘a flyin’ out of Vom 2 but he did not, he walked out in the darkness. It was fantastic.

The rest of the evening proved to be quite the adventure in discussion and such. Let’s just say there was a bit of miscommunication in the discussion, a heated debate, a Clark-like attitude that normally only comes from the Older Brother, a Mount-like stubbornness sounding off, and then a sudden clarity as tones were lowered and nerves were calmed. Neither of us came out with any bruises, as far as I could see!

Last night I took the family crew ~ extended ~ to see the other cast open. I was a bit less nervous but still jumped as Bradford slammed his walking stick, screamed a little scream as Danny slammed his sword against Josh’s sword, shook a bit inside as Pono walked across the stage and leaned forward with happy and random pirate thoughts as they set up for the dock. Skyler added sincerity and honesty, as honest as a young pirate player can I suppose. I still laugh when I hear the other Kacey as the parrot announce intermission and smile as Neil dances across the stage, after six weeks.

It’s a good show … a great show! Now, as John would say, Yarley Yarely Yarely!

In other news … BYU Rugby … yep … go here …

1 comment:

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

Thanks for the invite!! It was fun to see everyone again and be in my favorite theatre with my favorite Kas. Especially with pirates gallavanting about like they do.