7.5.08

Flowers ... No Thank You

Okay … so last year at about this time I was living in California far from many friends and continually MIA for many celebrations. One day upon returning from some activity with Cass and E I found a ridiculous display of flowers on our front porch. Cass, always the girl, was thrilled. I had my hands full of Tae Kwan Duo uniforms, Cass’ drawings, and lunch pales so Cass pulled the card from the flowers while E, with his macho 4 year old muscles, took the flowers inside. I didn’t think twice, knowing that my ever-hot Aunt Robin was in a relationship and it was near the 27th of the month, an expected anniversary. But then Cass popped out with, “Kas, it’s your name on the card.” (I still feel special knowing that my name was one of the first words Cass learned to spell and read!) Flowers for me? What? Ridiculous. What was even more ridiculous is that I had to explain to new friends how the old friend obviously didn’t really know me because … well, ridiculous!

So today, I come into work, sit down and begin the day’s routine. WHAM! I get a call from the front desk asking me to come down and sign for something. I assume that it is a package from one of my guys out in the field, he’s leaving HP this week and all of his info and jazz needs to come back into the office. I make my way to the desk only to see a ridiculous display of flowers and a smiling and curious Val (our receptionist) standing next to them. “Those are mine?” I ask. “Sure are.” What? Ridiculous.

Most girls are elated by flowers. But sometime between the age of 15 and 16 I decided that flowers are a ridiculous gift to give me, Kasi. (UNDERSTAND: This is a personal thing, please do not use this as your next excuse to your wife/significant other! 99% of all women like flowers!) I love flowers, growing in the ground. I think they are beautiful. It is my one of my favorite things to walk past a whole bed of tulips. I appreciate the gorgeous bouquets that are created to enhance wedding photos. But if you have made me mad, if you are trying to convey something to me through the flowers, DON’T!

Here is what I see … a bunch of flowers that will die within a week. A vase that will never be reused. And a reason to take some allergy medicine. I know the cost of flowers, RIDICULOUS! I would much rather receive a nice card! This is not me being a brat … this is me saying … SAVE YOUR MONEY! Certainly, if I live in Seattle and I can get a fresh bouquet of flowers at Pike Street for less than $8 every day … well, I believe in that.

So friend that sent today’s flowers – YOU ARE FUNNY and I LOVE YOU and one day when we live in the same state I will get you back for this (FOR ALL OF YOU THAT THINK I AM BEING RUDE AND HURTING HIS FEELINGS ~ I'M NOT, HE DID THIS AS A JOKE, KNOWING I AM NOT FOND OF SUCH THINGS, TO MAKE ME LAUGH AND SMILE TODAY ... OBVIOUSLY!) Dad, the Easter corsages are okay, that is tradition. And future admires, GET A HALLMARK CARD or offer a back scratch during the movie ~ it’ll get you further!
But if you must ~ and sometimes, I get it, you must ~ lilies are the only acceptable offering (I PREFER THE GLASS LILY - SEE PICTURE)

3 comments:

Brenda said...

They do brighten the day...right! Kenny and I have sworn off flowers too for the very same reason. Too funny.

Anonymous said...

I think this is my favorite post of yours!!! I'll remember not to send you flowers!! I miss seeing you every day in Cali! Lisa Hemstreet

Unknown said...

Speaking of Genetics (weren't we?) I believe your mother initially had the same feelings as you do regarding flowers. Over the years she has developed an appreciation of them... just FYI....love dad