2.5.08

Lucky Girl

Okay … so I am a lucky girl …

I can say whatever it is that it is on my mind. I can not say whatever it is that is on my mind. I can make a face. I can bite my bottom lip. I can roll my eyes. I can bat my eyelashes. I can tear up. I can laugh at inappropriate moments. I can use the overused phrase, “I think I’m going to vomit.” I can call in the middle of the night because I can’t sleep and just need to hear that someone is still there. I can send a text message for a rescue and have an immediate response. I can watch a television program with one John Krasinski for three days straight. I can get an email from a super high tech Grandma Phyllis (Grandma Monica has been emailing for years!). I can get the sweetest text message from a super high tech Dad. I can wrinkle my nose. I can say that I’m fine. I can talk myself in circles. I can not pick up my phone for days. I can not return text messages for days. I can not return emails. I can use the kids as an excuse. I can have random moments of Grrrrrs and Mrrrrrs.

… and my people get all of it. Some of my people play leading roles in this show I call my life, some play minor roles, some play guest stars, while some have, for a time, taken a leave of absence from the cast. But I have people, not just a person. I have people that get me. I don’t think a lot of people get to say that there is one person that truly gets them … I get to say that I have a group of people, ranging from JoySchool friends to their wives to college friends to theatre cohorts to a great boss that know when to push and when to pull, when to talk and when to keep mouths shut and pretend nothing is going on, when to let me bawl and when to tell me to buck up and be a grownup.

Case and point: TODAY.

1 - Early this morning I got to go to breakfast with a Bunk ~ he tends to introduce himself as Ryan Bunker because he thinks that referring to himself as Bunk is a bit pretentious. (picture is from our St. Pats Day Extravaganza last year - Bunk and Baby Abby, the favorite melo baby!) First of all, he was in Utah – he hates Utah and it snowed while he was here! Sure it was less than a 24 hour visit but he was here. Second of all, he was up before his normal 8 am wake up time (unless the surf is good and then no hour is too early). Third, we didn’t have to talk about anything of consequence, unless you think that Monti’s love life is of great consequence, that was a MUST!, obviously. We laughed at our waiter, who was special. We laughed at our families, which are equally if not more special. We mocked ridiculous humans. We sat quietly. It was not a conversation that altered life the way I know it. Rather it was a time which let me be Kas, I was grateful for that moment.

Then Bunk had to get on a plane (he got there in spite of a few bad directions, between the two of us it’s amazing he got there at all!) to be at work in So. California today and I came into work in Utah. And then my mind had time to do what it does best right now, remember. I tried to throw myself into work but found that work was not as demanding as I had hoped. I found myself getting a bit overwhelmed with it all.

2 – Great Boss Bill ~ who can really say that they get along amazingly with their boss? I can! It helps that he's all of two years older than I am and has the same sense of humor as my favorite Schiefelbine ~ stuck his head over our little shared wall, I might have been sniffling. Without a question, he tossed me a tissue box and then sent me a link to a Jim/Pam YOUTUBE video … seriously. Then he rolled his chair over and we spent close to an hour discussing the Office. My mind was quickly caught up in the Michael/Dwight/Jim/Pam/Phyllis/Kevin/Oscar of it all, how could it not? For that time no sniffles occurred.

Shortly I’ll be leaving work and if I follow the pattern of the past little while I’ll find myself a bit frazzled by the time I get to 21st and 21st. My guess is that by the time I hit 2186 Bryan Ave I’ll be ready to throw in the towel for the day.

3 – Mar and Mar are there though. Tonight we are going to drowned ourselves in a 25’ version of Patrick and be girls. I won’t have to talk, I can shed a tear when I need to, throw out the random expletive if absolutely necessary ~ OR HEAR MARTHA THROW ONE OUT, WHICH IS SO MUCH BETTER! ~ and find partners in crime in this time of … whatever this time is.

I really am a lucky girl!

2 comments:

M said...

Hey, hey, HEY! Thanks for the ALL-CAPS call to my sear word moment. Glad the world knows I "throw them out." I aim to please. (In my defense, it was completely unexpected and in a moment of utter frustration re: KK).

Brenda said...

If anyone is lucky it is me to have you!