30.10.09

Winning

I wanted one thing for the set of Hello Dolly that summer, a staircase. At first I hinted but my tact led quickly away from that manner of behavior to simply stating, multiple times a week, that I wanted a staircase. Victor had no feelings on the matter, he clearly understood the game before it began. The first few times I brought it up he laughed and would say, "No Kas, I win." Then on our way to Milwaukee to pick up a backdrop, he explained {attempting to convince me with his own logic} how it simply was not in the budget nor possible in the time we had remaining to create this dramatic staircase I saw in my mind, ending with "Kas, I win." I ventured a few days later to get him to give in, I pulled out all of the stops. His foot was down, nothing was working ... my 18 year-old mind could not fathom why he was not giving on this. But eventually, three days prior to opening, I accepted and began my pout and whiny stages of this journey.

Then, the morning of our final dress, I went up to the house before heading over to the theater. I walked in past Muffin, sleeping on the kitchen floor {I envied that dog for a moment, the kid production had closed five days earlier and Dolly was going up to an audience the next day and ... I wasn't sleeping much to say in the least}, and made my way downstairs. He had been up for a bit and was working on something. I asked what this creation was. He got this ginormous smile {similar to what you see to the left} on his face and then said, "Kas, you win." WHAT!? My brain wasn't comprehending anything. Then I saw it, A CHANDELIER, created by Adam. Sure, it wasn't my staircase that should have been built weeks before but it was the missing element I had been fighting for, somehow. "Kas, you win."

That is where the game began, as I was granted my first point. THANKS ADAM!!

So I keep score. Is it fair? No but as my Father has always said, "Life isn't fair kiddo." Do I keep score with you, probably. There are a few games in play that are not being played with me but rather in competition for as many of these points as possible. The men in my office are playing this version of the game. To the left of my computer I have a note with each of their names and each day they do what they can to gain a point on this board ~ its incredible what they have come up with as of late. Most games are between me and you. Ace is fighting hard now that he is aware ~ bless his heart, he still doesn't grasp the "Kasi Wins" part of this game. CA and I are laughing hysterically as his favorite phrase as of late has been, "Yes, you win." T is contemplating his points today, trying to decide if he is far enough behind to no longer try or close enough that a towel will put him over the top {I'm not opposed to giving multiple points for dynamic successful adventures}.

Kirst and Dave are actually ahead {along with Jonny} but they are a rare bread that I will likely, even as the 'winner', never catch up to. And Bunk is still earning points for this Halloween costume...



Do you think you're ahead in this game?

2 comments:

Stacy Ellison said...

i like the kasi wins game! and OH MY! is all i can say about the halloween costume. do you realize that since i have never met bunker that when i hear his name this is the image that will pop into my mind!

Erin Davis said...

I just love you Kasi. Honestly, you are my favorite!